Sunday, June 8, 2014

Happy 2nd Birthday, Ryan!

My baby is TWO!  After all the heartbreak we went through before we got him and knowing he is our last baby, his turning two has been bittersweet for me.  I love every stage he enters more than the last, but it is also hard to acknowledge I no longer have a baby and won't have another one in the future!  Recently, I have had several friends ask if we would have more kids if we hadn't had the trouble we had with Kayley and Ryan.  A year ago, our answer would have been absolutely.  Now, I think I speak for Andy too when I say, probably.  On the one hand, I can't imagine adding another baby to our crazy, busy lives at this point with all of Drew and Kayley's activities, but on the other hand, I love the crazy, busy life we have and always wanted a big family and would love for Ryan to have someone closer to his age to play with.  But, it isn't in the cards for us and we are perfectly happy (and busy) with the three we have!

At two years old, Ryan loves books.  He wants us to read to him all the time and it doesn't matter where we are or what we are doing - at a ball game, while making dinner, while doing laundry, out to eat, in the car, etc.  His favorite book right now is "Brown Bear Brown Bear What do you See?"  Andy, Drew and I can read it without even looking at the words at this point!  

Ryan is funny.  He loves the reaction he gets when he does something that makes any of us laugh.  Fortunately (or unfortunately), Drew and Kayley are easily entertained and laugh at anything Ryan does, which only makes Ryan do whatever it is more.  Usually, it is during dinner!

Ryan is talking nonstop now.  At his 15 month check-up I was concerned because he didn't meet the criteria of having at least 4 words in addition to "mommy" and "daddy."  He wouldn't even use those words correctly!  The only thing he was saying was, "uh oh" and "whatisthat?" (as one word and only because Andy taught him to say it).  But, about a month or so later, he had a  bit of a word explosion and it hasn't stopped.  His most common phrases right now are, "Can you help me, Mommy/Daddy/Drew/Kayley?" when he wants something from one of us, "Don't fall" when he is walking down the stairs and "Don't touch the stinky butt," which is something we said to him when he used to try to grab his butt when we were changing a poopy diaper.  He gets it because we say it, he laughs, repeats it and pulls his hands back.  It has also turned into a game for him.  He also says, "No bark, Sox!" when Sox starts barking outside.  If she doesn't stop, he yells it louder.  He may have picked that one up from me.  Another recent favorite is, "Mommy/Daddy/Grandma/Grandpa watch!"  This past week he added, "I don't want to," which he usually says in response to us telling him to eat his vegetables, it is time to go inside, it is time to take a nap or anything else he doesn't want to do.  I just love his little voice!  

Ryan is also super affectionate.  Hugs and kisses for anyone and everyone!  He even kisses his own owies.  On the other hand, he has quite the temper and his temper tantrums rival Kayley's at this age!  

He is a little attached to his pacifier.  Or maybe a lot.  But, he only gets it at nap and bedtime (and in the car once he gets crabby on a long car ride and occasionally other times when we are out and he is past his bedtime).  So, hardly at all!  I am not sure if it is because he is our third kid and we are less rigid or because he is our baby and I am subconsciously trying to keep him a baby?  Not sure!  But, we have big plans to cut him off starting next weekend.  I'll report back on how it goes!  

My mom, dad, brother and Andy's dad all came for Ryan and Kayley's birthdays.  We celebrated Ryan's birthday on Friday.  Happy birthday, Ryan!!

Bubble machine!

A new book!

More bubbles!

Trying to open unassisted

Telephone

Elmo book with drums.  What was I thinking?  :-)

His new truck

All 4 kids liked the water table!

Drew spraying Kayley and Ryan trying to climb in

Still spraying Kayley and still trying to climb in

Micky Mouse!

Happy birthday to Ryan!

First bite

I think he likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment