Sunday, May 22, 2011

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

A few weeks ago, I decided it would be a great idea to take the train up to Chicago for the day so the kids could go on a train ride.  Because we were going to be in Chicago for the day, we naturally decided to go to a White Sox game, but the whole point of the trip (in my eyes anyway) was to take the kids on a train ride.  I ordered the train tickets and Andy ordered the White Sox tickets.  Drew was so excited for our train ride.  Kayley didn't really seem to care.  Andy was excited for the White Sox, but didn't care about the train ride.  In fact, I could tell he didn't think it was as great of an idea as I thought it was.  He said it was because he likes to drive and be in control of his own schedule, but I think it may have been because he tends to get motion sickness!

I found out on Monday that there was an "issue" with our train tickets.  Turns out they were going to be doing scheduled maintenance on the track on Saturday.  Why would you allow people to buy tickets (much less run a special - kids ride free) when you know you have scheduled maintenace coming up?  They do have alternate transporation available I was told.  A bus.  Oh my gosh, Andy would go through the roof if I were to tell him we were taking a bus to Chicago!  Ha!  I told him no and that I would like my money refunded. 

So the whole point of our trip was no longer happening, but we had the White Sox tickets so off we went in Andy's Tahoe.  Drew was a little confused and kept asking when we were going to get on the train.  I explained again that the train wasn't working today.  He saw a few trains on the way and quickly pointed out that the trains were working. 

The kids enjoyed the drive to Chicago and pointed out every airplane they saw.  There were a lot.  And he made sure I looked at each one!  When we got close to Midway, Drew could hardly contain himself with all of the airplanes he saw! 

The White Sox won and the kids got to see fireworks, which Drew loved and Kayley did not enjoy.  The kids ate hot dogs, nachos and ice cream - they were in heaven.  I think I was in the restroom at least 8 times.  Two young kids, one of which is still potty training, means lots of trips to "go potty." 

After the game, we drove downtown for dinner and a train ride.  We got on the "L" and Drew was in heaven.  Who needs Amtrak when you have the "L"?! 


Before the game.  Kayley being Kayley and refusing to look
at the camera.


Finally!

Enjoying their ice cream.

Drew on the "L"

1 comment:

  1. Well, it sounds like it all worked out well in the end. Drew's huge smile on the "L" says it all!

    ReplyDelete